Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:48:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying debug-kernel config messages

On Sunday, 11 April 1999 at 13:48:36 +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> As Matthew Dillon wrote ...
>>    I am getting wholely sick of this blasted config message.   If you are
>>    going to print the message, print it once and be done with it.  Not
>>    every time I config!  I'd get rid of the message entirely, in fact.
>
> It was useful to me the first time. Then it became annoying.
>
> Interestingly enough the 'usage' is outdated:
>
> p100#config -?
> config: illegal option -- ?
> usage: config [-gpr] sysname
>
> as it does not mention -s

Yes, I missed this, but ache fixed it a little later.

>>    Also, if you guys insist of making 'make' generate a debug kernel called
>>    'kernel.debug' by default, at LEAST objcopy it to 'kernel' to generate
>>    the non-debug version during the main 'make' procedure rather then
>>    during the 'make install' procedure.  Not all of us use make install to
>>    install new kernels.
>>
>>    I've gone from having to cp/strip to having to objcopy.  My life is not
>>    made easier.
>>
>>    I don't mind generating both a debug and non-debug kernel by default.  But
>>    it must be done in the correct fashion.
>
> Why both? Takes quite some extra time on slower machines. If people are
> going after a bug needing a full 'symbolised' kernel let them run the
> correct config invocation.

With the debug option, the Makefile builds a debug kernel
kernel.debug, and then uses objcopy to create a stripped version
called kernel.  The additional time is negligible.  We've done the
reasoning to death here already: the debug kernel is good for crash
dumps, but it's not needed in the root file system.

> I suggest putting the new config behaviour in UPDATING and remove
> the message.

Well, three core team members have asked me to remove the defaults, so
I have done so.  When I recover, I'll start a new discussion on -arch,
since it seems that few core team members read -hackers.

Greg