Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:05:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   enscript/printer problem

I am having some problems with my printer or enscript; I'm not really
sure which. enscript and the printer typically work pretty well, but I
am trying to use a 'fancy header' and it just does not work.

I wrote a script to be executed by elm to print email from the
program. Doesn't work. Try the script from the command line, it
appears to work,

[122:~] /usr/local/libexec/prmail message
[ 1 pages * 1 copy ] sent to printer
1 lines were wrapped

But nothing comes out of the printer. Try the print command in the
script on the command line,

[123:~] enscript --fancy-header=mail -t 'Test Subject' --header='Thu, 25 Feb 1999 07:11:42 -0800' message
[ 1 pages * 1 copy ] sent to printer
1 lines were wrapped

But nothing comes out of the printer. Try without the fancy header,

[124:~] enscript message
[ 1 pages * 1 copy ] sent to printer
1 lines were wrapped

Viola! It prints. Something is going on in the header, but I cannot
figure out where. enscript reports no problem and the lpd log,
lpd-errors, does not have any errors. No errors that I can find on the
syslogd server the printer reports to (but I don't know how well that
is being handled).

The mail header file (/usr/local/enscript/mail.hdr) is a product of
the FSF I copied from an IRIX machine where it works fine. Here's the
top with some info that might ID it. I won't send it all unless
requested,

%
% OPENWINDOWS' mp header
% Copyright (c) 1996 Markku Rossi.
% Author: Markku Rossi <mtr@iki.fi>
%

My problem is that I have no output to diagnose the problem. Anyone
have any ideas? Thanks.