Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 06:59:57
From:      John Clark <email@john.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd vs. getty with inetd, security

Hello,

I have a modem on a FreeBSD host that I use to establish a PPP connection
with remote clients.  Currently, I have getty monitoring serial port 1 for
incoming calls:

	ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  dialup  on  insecure

After logging in, I just start 'pppd' and all is well.  However, this seems
to be a waste of resources (a shell), and also adds another layer of
software between the modem and the pppd code.  Therefore, I have been
experimenting with the following line in /etc/ttys:

	cuaa1   "/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cuaa1 57600 -detach" unknown on

This really works great, but there is no security here -- anyone can call
in without login confirmation.  How do I implement security with this
approach?  You say CHAP / PAP?  Well, I have never used either -- the
password protection of the shell has been sufficient to date.  I also need
to login with various clients which may not have such advanced protocols.
Is there a way to have pppd prompt for a login/password?

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated...

Thanks,

John Clark
[email@john.net]