Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 09:09:43 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        tstromberg@rtci.com
Cc:        freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to start? Heres a few overflows.

In message <384527B9.3A3E3C41@rtci.com> Thomas Stromberg writes:
: > : *rdump           overflow when giving it a partition to dump
: > :          ex: rdump -0 [A*1024]
: >
: > These are fixed in -current.  I've not backported to stable, but should.
:
: Seeing as it's suid, It should probably be expidited. I myself took the
: suid bit off of it on my -STABLE boxes (I usually do, since I make no
: use of dump as non-root).

Yes.  However, this buffer overflow appears to be benign given the
memory layout.  I did an extensive analysis of this which I sent to
Thomas a while ago which showed that it was a bug, but not a
penetration bug.

A good project would be to bring in the fork write(1) rather than
putting that functionality inside dump changes OpenBSD made years
ago.

: Did you have any luck re-creating it with the script I sent you?
: Interested to see if this becomes a systat or a curses thing..

No.  I tried once, but it didn't fail and I've not gotten back to it.

Warner