Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 19:55:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I synchronize FreeBSD time to a Solaris 2.5.1 machine ?

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> > You can use xntpd to sync to Stratum[12] timeservers and/or Solaris if
> > it supports NTP See: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp -- otherwise, use
> > timed. Both are a part of FreeBSD.
>
> Was looking at this myself this week. Heck, I'd almost be happy if I
> could sync the Sun's as they don't have timed. SGI does ship with timed.
>
> Within xntpd, can one create an averaging sync between systems similar
> to what timed does? When dealing with standalone nets timed's a fairly
> good solution when one can't convince the boss to buy a GPS as a time
> source.

xntpd tries to keep everything exact by compensating for net lag.  It's
been ported to most environments.  xntpd makes use of NTP, a standard
protocol.  As a result it's pretty easy to find hosts out there running
servers you can sync off of.  It's all a matter of finding someone close
enough to get good syncs from.