Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 12:38:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        roger@cs.strath.ac.uk (Roger Hardiman)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI bus chanages from 2.2.x to 3.x/4.x and data corruption.

> Please read this. It affects our commercial users.
>
> I'm trying to find out if/how we initialise the PCI bus and any
> memory controllers differently in 3.x compared to 2.2.x
>
> Since upgrading from 2.2.x to 3.x or 4.x, many many users have
> noticed garbage on the video grabbed by the bt848 in their
> Video Conferencing systems. (based on VIC).

and not only that -- vic just makes things evident because the
corruption causes a huge image update to be sent thus waiting a bit
before sending the next frame.

> This has been noticed by some commercial users of FreeBSD as well as
> Academic users, and it looks bad on us.
>
> Luigi has 1 PC with 2 hard disks, a 2.2.x setup and a 3.x setup.
> This allowed him to factor out all the variables except the
> 2.2.x kernel and the 3.x kernel. (He used the same Bt848 driver)
>
> On 2.2.x VIC runs great.
> On 3.x there is corruption to the video.

and to be more precise, this is happening on at least 4 different PCs,
of different vintages and speeds -- only thing in common is the use of
3.1R vs 2.2.anything.

As a matter of fact i am right now reinstalling a 2.2.x on a machine
just because i need to do an MBone broadcast and the video corruptions
are not tolerable!

	cheers
	luigi

  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====