Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 03:14:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM86 and APM

> > I printed the error code (ax register) from the APM BIOS call via VM86
> > during apm_probe(), I got:
> >
> > apm: BIOS probe failed: error 0x1  carry 1  ax 0x8600 bx 0x0
> > apm0 not found
> >
> > 0x86 means "No APM BIOS", right?
>
> Yes.  It may mean that it's disabled in the BIOS setup, or that the APM
> BIOS doesn't support being connected to from VM86 mode.  I haven't
> heard any confirmation that this might be common.

Note that the Cyrix Media GX, among other processors, expects SMI
(System Management Interface; includes APM) traps implemented in the
system BIOS.

These may, in fact, fail in VM86 mode, based on the actual code used
to implement the traps.

> > Then I loaded a kernel without VM86 and it said:
> >
> > apm0 not found
> >
> > Oh, I thought it worked before!  It must have been my dream that the
> > apm driver had worked on this MB...
>
> That would explain a lot.  8)

Plus it would simplify things a great deal.  8-).

> > The motherboard has the Award BIOS, which does have power management
> > setup items, such as "Power Management" and "PM Control by APM" (I
> > natually have them both enabled).
> >
> > May be the APM BIOS is deficient?
>
> Possibly, but you wouldn't expect so.  Try booting the non-VM86 kernel
> from a cold power-on, and see if the probe still fails.

The other thing may be that you have updated your BIOS via flash
with a newer, but less APM knowledgable version.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.