Date:      Thu, 4 May 2006 17:43:52 +0200
From:      "No@SPAM@mgEDV.net" <nospam@mgedv.net>
To:        "'Soo-Hyun Choi'" <s.choi@hackers.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Shared Library Error

> I did "ldconfig -R" and "ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib" but I still get
> the error message.

> So, how would you explicitly do with that if you get:
> [shc@localhost ~]$firefox
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgmodule-2.0.so.600" not found,
> required by "libgtk-x11-2.0.so.600"

if an executable is linked dynamically, it needs loading shared libraries.
ldconfig is a way to define, where and in which order to find and load them.
also have a look on ldd (man ldd).

eg. you can do ldd libgtk-x11-2.0.so.600 in the dir where it resides,
and find out, which files are missing. then check the other library
for correctness and if it's really a shared library (not a symlink
or somethink like that).

try researching it a little bit ;-)