Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:15:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: source control (Was Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp)

> > Too bad the source code control tool that FreeBSD uses doesn't
> > support multiple lines of developement.
>
> AFAIK, you can have multiple branches in cvs. You probably meant, it
> doesn't support multiple lines of developement _well_ ? Or am I
> overlooking some obvious shortcoming of cvs ?
>
> At work, we use perforce. The nice thing (which cvs doesn't have)
> about it is that it has a concept of a changeset.

This is equivalent to what Larry McVoy calls "an LOD" or "Line Of
Developement".

The problem with CVS is reconciliation of lines of developement
with the HEAD branch.  To make this work, you have to consider
each LOD as a container for historical LODs, and the winning code
for any given problem would propagate up to the "HEAD" --  the top
level in a hierarchy.

The CVS model is HEAD-centric, which means that there is always
"One True FreeBSD".

From a Physics standpoint, you could see multiple LODs as an
uncertainty wave that only collapses to particular code when an
observer named "-RELEASE" looks at it.  8-).

> Any extended discussion is off topic here, I think. I don't mind
> offline email though :)

It's actually appropriate for -arch, I think.  Our tools constrain
what we can implement more than our thinking does.  For example,
the linker set code in FreeBSD wasn't possible until it was
supported by our tools; now we could not imagine going through the
contortions not having them would require.  I would even posit
that some of the problems that are solved today using linker sets
would not have been permitted to be solved, if it meant adding
convoluted and difficult for a layman to understand code to
accomplish the same ends.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---