Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 22:18:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, joe@thebestisp.com
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:54:22 -0600 "Joe" said:
>IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO CONNECT MORE THAN TWO COMPUTERS DO NOT USE A HUB! (did
>the caps get your 'tension?) the reasons are simple 1 a hub costs money and
>if you were into spending money you wouldn't be using freebsd you'd be
>dealing (and spending a fortune for the same or less effect) with a
>Microsoft or comperable product. And second you can't expect to get better
>that 60%(+-) ie: 6Mbps rather than 10Mbps throughput so you are paying for
>latency and collissions..Just my two cents..

Where shall I begin?

1.	I don't use FreeBSD because it's cheap, I use it because it
	is the best tool for the work I do.

2.	Hubs are not very expensive.  A basic 4 or 8 port hub is less
	than $100 (even DataComm Warehouse has a 3com for <$100!!)

3.	2 computers wired through a cross-over cable _WILL_NOT_
	achieve any greater throughput than _the_same_two_computers_
	connected through a hub.  If you need, we can step through the
	math.  (But not tonight, I have a headache...)

4.	In almost every instance that one of my client's have installed
	a cross-over cable between two Ethernet devices, they have ended
	up replacing it shortly with a hub.  Why?  If you have two
	machines wired together, soon there will be a reason to be
	able to connect up the laptop from work, or Junior's PC, or...

	For a Firewall/Router type of setup, I still recommend a small
	hub.  Makes it easier to locate external services (outside web
	ftp, etc.) between the outside router and the firewall.

E'nuff Said?

John