Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:19:11 -0600
From:      "E.S." <bsdterm@HotPOP.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel says device atapicam is unknown!!??

I've considered it, but isn't -STABLE a bit less stable than -RELEASE, since
the source in it is newer?

I just don't want to get stuck running my daily desktop OS (FreeBSD) only to
have a kernel panic or have XF86 lockup on me when I'm busy doing a
programming assignment or an essay  or something (of course, these things
happen on -RELEASE (actually, just the XF86 lockups (I don't think I've ever
had a kernel panic), and I think it's due to Matthew Dodd's unofficial Nvidia
driver (or X) somehow; hence, I want to upgrade to 4.7 so I can use the
official (albeit beta) driver!), but theoretically, they're rarer)...

I suppose I'll consider it; lots of people seem to run -STABLE without too
much trouble.  :)  I'd just feel more comfortable running -STABLE on a
less-critical system (actually, if I had a box to test on, I'd run
-CURRENT)...

Thanks for your help, in any case!

-ES