Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Warren Doney <wardon@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.0.1 and DRI

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Warren Doney wrote:

> Tom Bartol wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to get an ATI Rage Fury (32MB, AGP) working under the Direct
> > Rendering Interface (DRI) in XFree86-4.0.1.  I'm running a
> > FreeBSD-4.1-STABLE world and kernel as of yesterday Aug 8, 2000.  I built

> > snip snip < <

> 	<quote from docs>
> The kernel module for the Rage 128 is named r128.o and should be
> installed in /lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION/misc/. It
> will be automatically loaded by the Xserver if needed.
>
> The DRI 3D driver for the Rage 128 should be in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/r128_dri.so. This will be automatically
> loaded by libGL.so.
> 	</quote from docs>
>
> "/lib/modules/KERNEL-VERSION/misc/"
>
> This refers to a *Linux* kernel module, AFAIK FreeBSD can't run them
> (would love to be wrong)....
>
> When I was running 4.01 in Linux I had to load the kernel module
> *before* I did a 'startx' to enable DRI (this was for a Voodooo3).
>
> Unless you specifically need something from 4.01, I'd stick with 3.3.6,
> as it has better support for 3D at the moment.
>

> -WBD

Thanks for the quick reply!  Yeah, the DRI docs are pretty much aimed at
Linux :-(  If I succeed in getting a G400 working, as suggested by another
response to my query, I'll report my findings on this list.  If the G400
does indeed work out I'll try to collect my experiences in setting it up
in a form suitable for inclusion in the Handbook.  Cross your fingers...

Tom