Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:19:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@toybox.cc.iastate.edu>
Subject:   Re: root filesystem and -current

I just cvsup'ed to -stable yesterday (980312) from -stable as of 980219.
I have a similar problem as noted below.  I also tried changing /etc/fstab
to have root mounted on /dev/sd0s1a but that bombed worse than the other.
My 1st try with my original fstab was at least able fsck all filesystems
in my /etc/fstab BEFORE not being able to mount the kernel and throwing me
into single user mode.  I had to dust off my boot.flp and use fixit to
back in to send this message.

Basically, what's the fix?

- -burton-

- ---------------

Burton Sampley
bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
PGP key available at http://www.best.com/~bsampley/pgp.html

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thu, 12 March 1998 at 18:24:28 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
> >
> >   Hos something changed in -current during the past two weeks that would
> > affect how the root filesystem is mounted?

^-current^-stable (for csh users)

> Yes.

<flame>
For a more constructive use of limited banwidth, Greg's flame has be
removed.
</flame>

> > The problem that I am seeing at the moment is with a new -current
> > kernel, the root file system will fail to mount on boot.  Running
> > mount with no arguments shows that / has the device 'root_device'
> > mounted on it and not '/dev/sd0a' as I would aspect.  When I try to
> > mount '/dev/sd0a' on / mount gives the error: "Specified device does
> > not match mounted device.\n".  I will try recompiling mount in a
> > moment.  Any other suggestions?

ditto here under -stable

> What has happened is relatively complicated: they've eliminated the
> "compatibility slice", so you will no longer be able to mount
> /dev/sd0a.  Use /dev/sd0s1a instead (in /etc/fstab).  Don't be put off
> by the fact that it will then claim to mount /dev/sd0s2a; that's a
> known bug.

If that didn't work, any other solutions/suggestions?