Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:28:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jason A. Pfeil" <pfeil@cs.fsu.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jason A. Pfeil" <pfeil@nu.cs.fsu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation onto LARGE HD (10.1GB) (fwd)

Greg,

Thanks for offering to help and I apologize for the "extraneous"
information.  However, I included the information to provide all I could
about the geometry of the drive so someone could provide insight without
having to ask for more information.

> What's the message?

The message is that it can't create the slice (Too large?) is added
afterwards.

> >> LBA is on under the BIOS, and Linux has no problems with the drive.
> >> This is the third HD in my system and therefore LILO will not be
> >> running off of it so it shouldn't be limited by the BIOS when
> >> booting freebsd off of this partition.  One option I
> >> haven't tried, but was hoping you would have a better solution, was to
> >> copy off the data I already have on the drive, do a low-level format to
> >> erase everything and see if I can coerce LBA under my BIOS to reduce the
> >> cylinder to <= 1024 by increasing the number of heads.
>
> That sounds like a lousy solution.

Yes, it does.

> >> Do you have ANY other solution?
>
> fdisk?  I'm guessing that what you show there is an fdisk table.  When
> installing FreeBSD, select the third disk (if they're all SCSI, it'll
> be da2), and use the partition editor to replace the first partition
> (in other words, either change the type, or delete it and create a new
> one).  This is part of the normal installation.

I used fdisk to create the partitions in the first place.  The drive is
IDE and is the master on the secondary controller.  Unfortunately, it
appears that the installation program can't handle HD's with >1024
cylinders.  Is this the case?  Another option would be to use FreeBSD's
installation proggy to delete the already-created partition and create a
new one.  Any ideas?

--Jason

> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

----
 Jason A. Pfeil                               pfeil@cs.fsu.edu
 Information Systems Developer                jpfeil@lsi.fsu.edu
 CASDL                                        (850)644-8014; fax: (850)644-4952
 Learning Systems Institute                   University Center C-3527
 http://idl.fsu.edu                           Tallahassee, FL  32306-2540