Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 13:01:19 -0400
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

On May 21, 2012, at 12:41 PM, Mark Felder wrote:

> OK guys I've been talking with another user who can recreate this =
crash and the last bit of information we've learned seems to be leaning =
towards interrupts/IRQ issues like someone (bz@ perhaps?) suggested.
>=20
> I'm still trying to test this myself, but the other user was able to =
recreate my crash pretty much on demand. The fix was to not use the =
first NIC in the VM because it will always share an IRQ with mpt0. Once =
mpt0 is on its own the crash does not seem to be reproducible anymore.
>=20
> Before:
>=20
> $ vmstat -i
> interrupt                          total       rate
> irq1: atkbd0                         378          0
> irq6: fdc0                             9          0
> irq15: ata1                           34          0
> irq16: em1                        687237          1
> irq18: em0 mpt0                319094024        539
> cpu0: timer                    236770821        400
> Total                          556552503        940
>=20
> After:
>=20
> $ vmstat -i
> interrupt                          total       rate
> irq1: atkbd0                          38          0
> irq6: fdc0                             9          0
> irq15: ata1                           34          0
> irq16: em1                          2811         15
> irq17: em2                             5          0
> cpu0: timer                        71013        398
> irq256: mpt0                       12163         68
> Total                              86073        483
>=20
>=20
> Is there any other way we can make mpt0 get its own dedicated IRQ =
without having to do this? The problem is that it causes us to have to =
make rc.conf changes, pf.conf changes, and who knows what other software =
could be on these machines that is trying to bind to a specific NIC...
>=20
>=20
> Thanks!
>=20

You could try switching mpt to MSI.  MSI interrupts are never shared.  =
Add this to /boot/device.hints:

> hint.mpt.0.msi_enable=3D"1"

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com