Date:      Fri, 03 Apr 1998 16:56:08 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Utopia?

At 05:56 PM 4/3/98 +1000, John Saunders wrote:
>Actually having some competing teams isn't as bad as it seems. It
>creates an environment of friendly rivalry to push people just
>that little bit extra to be able to say "our feature X is better
>that yours". And then they all grab the best version and try and
>make it better. However some features like SMP would benefit from
>a larger team working on it for some solid time.

Well, if they want to compete...let them compete against Linux and other
free unix's.  I agree that with more heads working together..things like
SMP would probably be developed quicker.  I have a friend that uses NetBSD
on Amiga as well.  I would assume that a larger team working on one
product, such as FreeBSD, ports for other systems would be developed
quicker as well.  But, all this is just my ideas and stuff.  :)

>I've found a lot of stuff gets cross ported between the camps so
>it's not as if everything is developed many times over from scratch.

That seems pretty cool.  I would assume that with people working together
and software that is released under GPL...thing would be easier to port to
other systems and ideas can be borrowed as well.

>And lastly there is choice. Why does anyone pick a Ford over General
>Motors? Personal choice.

Well, but that's because Ford rules. :)  I'm an owner of two Fords that
have never had any problems.

Bear