Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:55:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: PC Keyboard Scancodes

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 19-Apr-00 Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> >  I've got a nice script and better version of scancodes.c to do this for
> >  me
> >  now, so here goes :)  These are the keys on the Logitech cordless
> >  keyboard,
> >  and they are undoubtedly the same for the rest of the Logitech iTouch
> >  keyboards.  Script or scancodes.c on request, of course :)  I hope this
> >  will help whosoever decides to take upon the task.
>
> I don't suppose you could change 'ch' to be 'unsigned char' and print the
> values as hex? I'm too lazy to convert them :)

Sure:

             Key	Pressed         Released
             ---	-------         --------
           Sleep	e0, 5f          e0, df
            Mute	e0, 20          e0, a0
 Decrease Volume	e0, 2e          e0, ae
 Increase Volume	e0, 30          e0, b0
            Play	e0, 22          e0, a2
            Stop	e0, 24          e0, a4
          Rewind	e0, 10          e0, 90
    Fast Forward	e0, 19          e0, 99
            Mail	e0, 6c          e0, ec
          Search	e0, 65          e0, e5
            Home	e0, 32          e0, b2
             Run	e0, 66          e0, e6

With the new output format, I can tell that the released scancode is the
pressed scancode + 128 (| 0x80).  Cool :)

> I've altered atkbd.c to grok the new keys, I also added 'power' and 'halt'
> to kbdcontrol/syscons - so now the power button works 8-)

Heh, cool :)  This goes well with my small diffs to make the ATX power
button a true 'panic', don't you think?

> I think for a lot of the other keys we'll need a userland daemon which
> talks to syscons to handle stuff.

Yeah, but along with stuff like this (usbd et al), we should have something
in the kernel (thread?) to do most of it.  A unified event daemon would
probably be half in the kernel and half out of it, and it would provide a
pretty clean interface for this kind of thing (when it's not vaporware).