Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 17:55:32 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.Technion.AC.IL>
To:        kenneth@karoliussen.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck and Vinum file systems

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Kenneth Karoliussen wrote:

> > My answer is valid for 3.4 (I don't run vinum on 4.0 yet, but I'm sure
> > it's pretty much the same). From man fstab(5) (on a 3.4 system, FWIW):
> >      [snip] ... If
> >      the sixth field is not present or is zero, a value of zero is returned
> >     and fsck(8) will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.
>
> Actually I now about the sixth field, and it was intentionally set to disable the
> automatic device check..
>
> The problem may perhaps be related to the basic configuration of the
> vinum device:
>
> fsck -p /dev/vinum/vol/pz1
> Can't stat /dev/vinum/vol/rpz1: No such file or directory
> /dev/vinum/vol/pz1: /dev/vinum/vol/pz1 is not a character device
> /dev/vinum/vol/pz1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> Any idea why the raw mode device of /dev/vinum/vol/pz1 does not exist?
> I have no raw mode device in a similar configuration on a 4.0-STABLE system.
> And the strange thing is that fsck does not complain about it missing..
>
> /Kenneth

Well, this clearer to me now: There's another error in your parameters to
fsck.  Look at how vinum is configured on this machine:
/dev/vinum/dbmirror     /usr/local      ufs     rw              2       2

See? The device is taken from /dev/vinum/dbmirror, not from
/dev/vinum/vol/dbmirror. The directory /dev/vinum also contains an entry
rdbmirror (I suppose the same is true for your case), which will make
fstab feel at home, as fstab is used to adding an 'r' to the last
component of the special file name to get to the raw device.

The reason it works in 4.0 is that in 4.0 there are no raw and cooked
disk-type devices: the device you refer to is already 'raw' so fsck has no
trouble using it. To summarize, on a 3.4 machine, I believe your fstab
should read:
/dev/vinum/usr      /usr            ufs     rw              2       2

(note the name of the device file, and the '2' at the end).

Hope this helps,
Nadav