Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 02:56:06 -0600
From:      Mike Urban <murban@webzone.net>
To:        rickyz@bellatlantic.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Question

Yes, FreeBSD can act as a web server, but there is a lot more involved then
that. You need to have a static IP number, and you need to have a full time
dedicated internet connection. It is possible to run a web server on a 56K
analog modem, but if you get any kind of serious traffic at all, it will be
very slow.

If you have DSL in your area, that might be a good way to go, but DSL is
very new, and only available in large metro areas right now (pluss a
DSL modem will probably cost you about $400). Although service is pretty
cheap, most internet providers will charge you quite a bit for running a
web server. It is generally against their policy for you to do that unless
you pay them more. So shop around.

If you don't have DSL, your other option is ISDN, but that will probably
run you quite a bit too. I don't have DSL yet where I live, and if I wanted
128K ISDN and a dedicated line, the whole thing would cost me about $300 a
month.

Also keep in mind that if you want to run a full time web server on your
computer under FreeBSD, it will mean that you will not be able to run
Windows on it at all. If you have office apps or like to play games that
work under Windows, this is probably not an option unless you have a second
computer. If you share the computer with the rest of your family, then this
is definitely not an option. There are web servers out there that will run
under Windows. There are even some very good ones out there for free that
will work for an average site that isn't getting tons of hits. You might
want to consider this before you jump to FreeBSD. Unless you already know
Unix, the learning curve for setting up a web server under FreeBSD is going
to be pretty steep. If all you want to do is run a personal web server, and
you don't care about learning Unix, then you probably are better off
staying with Windows and using something like OmniHTTP Professional, or
Microsoft Personal Web Server, or Sambar. All of these web servers are
free, and all will run under Windows 95 or 98. You can dowload them from
www.tucows.com, and Microsoft Personal Web Server is available from
Microsoft's web site.

If on the other hand, you don't care about learning how to run a web
server, and all you want is your own web page with your own domain name,
you are far better off buying space from a hosting service. It will
probably cost you $15-$25 a month, but no matter what, it will be a lot
cheaper then running your own server.

Mike.