Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:29:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        John Brooks <john@day-light.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT Gateway IP is Broadcast IP

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, John Brooks wrote:

> The other day I came across a Win2k network that has assigned their gateway
> IP to their broadcast IP. Seemed strange to me. Is this normal in a windows
> environment?
>
> network:  x.x.x.96/29
> gateway:  x.x.x.103
> broadcast:  x.x.x.103

  Usually Windows systems with messed up gateways default to using proxy
arp.  For instance many sites deliberately set the hosts own IP and the
gateway IP to be the same.  This means they send ARP requests for every
non local IP.  Hopefully, the border router is set to handle proxy arp.
Proxy arp generates a lot of broadcast traffic.  On a DSL network,
broadcasts may be flooded to lots of other areas, so you don't necessarily
know which router is responding.

Tom