Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:17:01 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   any plans for soundriver or bktr?

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Sender: owner-cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG

[This is being deliberately cross-posted to -stable and -committers
 due to the importance of the subject; if your follow-up deals with
 work allocation or a similar subject, please cc committers.  If it
 deals with user-oriented issues, please cc stable. - thanks!]

Since people received so little warning with 2.2.2, "the stealth
release", I'm now erring a bit more on the other side of caution and
giving people plenty of advance warning of my intention to release
FreeBSD 2.2.5 at the end of September, a realistic final cut-off date
for changes being September 15th.  That gives everyone just 30 days to
make sure that things they care about are properly merged into the
RELENG_2_2 branch.

What sorts of things should and should not go into 2.2.5?  Well, since
the number of differences between the 3.0 and 2.2 branches currently
totals some 18MB of unidiffs, it's obvious that not all of this will
or should be merged from one branch into the other.

Bug fixes and security enhancements top the list of things which
should go from -current into -stable before the release, if they
haven't been merged already.

If some utility can also be upgraded to a version which has been
proven to work well in -current AND imposes very little impact on the
user (I.E. it's backwards-compatible and has not significantly changed
its interface), it is a reasonable candidate for the 2.2 branch.

As always, of course, it is the committer who is expected to use his
or her best judgement when deciding whether or not the risk/benefit
ratio of merging something merits such an action.

Again: Starting from now, we have 30 days to get the RELENG_2_2 branch
into reasonable shape and into its 15-day test cycle, after which we
ship that puppy.

Conventional wisdom has always considered the "dot-five" releases to
be the first truly solid releases of any branch (as witnessed with
1.1.5, 2.0.5 & 2.1.5) and I'd certainly be happy to see us carry this
fine tradition into the 2.2 branch. ;-)  Given that releng22.freebsd.org
is also up and cranking out RELENG_2_2 snapshots every day again now,
we should have that additional advantage during this release cycle
which we didn't have before, at least where testing the installation
tools is concerned.

					Jordan

------- End of Forwarded Message