Date:      Fri, 7 May 2004 13:42:48 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to a Headless machine, after install

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:06:37PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:01:29PM +0900, Rob wrote:
> > > Funny, that I'm struggling with opposite problem: I do not get the
> > > boot messages over the serial cable, but do get the login prompt,
> > > which I do not understand :(.
> >
> > You probably need to tell the kernel to use the serial console:
> >
> > # echo '-h' > /boot.config
>=20
> Ah, thanks. I don't have a /boot.config yet. Are you sure this file goes
> in the top-root directory? Or in /boot/... ?

Yes, top-root /. Check the handbook, section 17.6:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-set=
up.html

> You made me research a little more on this. I do have a file=20
> /boot/loader.conf.
> How about having in here the line
>=20
>   console=3D"comconsole"
>=20
> (to divert it from the default: console=3D"vidconsole") ?
>=20
> Or will that not do the same?

Having -h in /boot.config will also allow the boot blocks to output to
your serial console. I suspect console=3D"comconsole" would help the loader
+ kernel. It certainly couldn't hurt I guess :)

--Stijn

--=20
The sexual urge of the camel is stranger than anyone thinks.
He's lived for years on the desert, and tried to seduce the Sphinx.
But the Sphinxs center of pleasure lies buried deep in the Nile,
which accounts for the hump on the camel and the Sphinxs inscrutable smile.
		-- Frantic Fran, http://www.franticfran.com/jokes.htm

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc--