Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2022 11:01:37 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-current@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmail.com>, Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se>, bz@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: nfsd in a vnet jail
References:  <CAM5tNy7CQaBTRWG0m0aN6T0xG2L2zSQJGa%2BatGaH%2BmW%2BwEpdyQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAOtMX2hxeeNMxxdpma8NJ7ms60eRfuCWoFi7FixdSe83=qibkA@mail.gmail.com> <82103A1E-9D39-47B0-9520-205583C8B680@lysator.liu.se> <CAM5tNy71UAOkCQb9upc_OxhM-y5rp9jMKbKTJr619JFCGsfRkg@mail.gmail.com> <CAOtMX2jtCJgUpwbW7QUxDRYhXVXAyj8LqPYcuT=F-Dz4kS4J-Q@mail.gmail.com> <20221201102925.Horde.uAC-87YyIRDDnqJTmvsFwNm@webmail.leidinger.net>

On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 10:29:25 +0100
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> (from Tue, 29 Nov 2022
> 17:28:10 -0700):
>
> > On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 5:21 PM Rick Macklem
> > <rick.macklem@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> So, what do others think of enforcing the requirement that each
> >> jail have its own file systems for this?
> >
> > I think that's a totally reasonable requirement.  Especially so for
> > ZFS users, who already create a filesystem per jail for other
> > reasons.
>
> While I agree that it is a reasonable requirement, just a note that
> we can not assume that every existing jail resides on its own file
> system. The base system jail infrastructure doesn't check this, and
> the ezjail port doesn't either. The iocage port does it.

My position would be 'recommended, but not forced-to' one. I have
various installations with jails sharing parts of filesystem (like
ports or src tree for development, or even local git repository), or
even running with exactly the same directory as root of number of
jails. Probably not a common scenario for sure, but still useful.

Regards,
Milan