Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:14:16 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dan Jacobowitz <drow@mars.abcinternet.net>
Cc:        Alexander Tatmaniants <alex@UkrCard.Kiev.UA>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disappearing ports

> > > I just cvsupped for the first time in a wee...(ports-all, src-all, and the
> > > eBones stuff) - and cvsup is now busy wiping /usr/ports completely.  How
> > > the heck did that come about?  Is /usr/ports no longer suppable or
> > > something?
> > there is no ports for -stable, try to check out ports for -release
> > (tag: RELEASE_2_2_5) or for -current (no tags needed).
> >

> Um....
> no, you fail to understand.  I know the ports ARE included in RELENG_2_2.

They are *NOT*.

See this excerpt from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile:

# DANGER!  WARNING!  LOOK OUT!  VORSICHT!
#
# If you add any of the ports collections to this file, be sure to
# specify them like this:
#
#   ports-all tag=.
#
# If you leave out the "tag=." portion, CVSup will delete all of
# the files in your ports tree.  That is because "RELENG_2_1_0" and
# "RELENG_2_2" are not valid tags for the ports portion of the CVS
# repository.

Now, without the relevant line(s) from your CVSupfile and the host that
you are CVSupping from, nobody can do anything more than speculate that
you've changed something and are looking for someone else to blame for
your mistake.

mike