Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:27:01 -0400
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PERC 3 Dell 2500 and FreeBSD 4.3 stable

> There's not much more subjective than RAID controllers, except
perhaps
> text editors. 8)  I'm glad you're happy with the DPT controllers,
but the
> other Adaptec controllers you're bashing are actually quite widely
liked,
> and when they're working, they do perform noticeably better...
Hi Mike,
    Are you saying  IYHO that that the PERC 3's perform better than
the 3200S Adaptecs?  If that is the case I must look more closely I
only tried the PERC 2's with windows NT and was not impressed.  I
think many admins here have only seen people writing in with problems
(myself included).  I am always interested in making our
freebsd-stable systems faster and more reliable, and if I can get them
installed at the factory all that much better.  This is the first time
I've heard some one say really good things "noticably better" than the
3200's!  Thats a big plus!  I apoligize for my negativeness which was
I'm sure was out dated.

Maybe someone has some benchmarks that show the differences?  I am
looking forward to running my own.

I agree everyone has thier favorites,  would be good to see some
benchmarks from specific models and manufacturers with FreeBSD
espcially with comments about managment utilities (IE does it run on
FreeBSD, under emulation or native etc).  Although no one I know has
the time for this :(

Have a great day
Ken