Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:06:55 +1100
From:      Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>,  freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD.org visitors

On 6/10/2013 1:29 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 12:17:34 +1100
> Kubilay Kocak <koobs.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/2013 1:38 AM, Rodrigo OSORIO wrote:
>>> Maybe the question is : "have they found what they are looking
>>> for ?"
>>>

>> Thats a good question Rodrigo and right on point.
>>
>> Bounce rates, without also identifying *legitimate* (and/or desirable)
>> exit points cant alone help us determine if a user has achieved their
>> objective or not.
>>
> I am one of the many 'bounced' users. The front page shows already very
> often what I want to know. Security notes, the current supported
> versions and news. Why should I read then things I am not interested in?

You shouldnt, though im intrigued as to who or what gave you the
impression that you should? :)

> But there is something missing. There is no 'entry' point for potential
> new users.

+1 on this point. Additionally, new users are but one dimension of one
demographic of a diverse customer base. You want to see understand the
forest *and* the trees.

>> Among other things, marking actions on pages with GA labels will
>> differentiate many of these cases from the pathological and begins to
>> place 'our user goals' *first* as the primary definition of success.
>>
>> You cant manage or improve what you dont measure.
>
> I disagree here. A website is not a piece of engineering.

If by engineering you mean not serving a purely technical endeavour, I
can't agree more.

Understanding your audience and their goals however, requires effort
*and* intentional intrumentation (I use this term intentionally by
technical analogy), whether that takes the form of surveys, feedback
forms, social engagement, PR's, forums or otherwise.

User interaction with our biggest "front-of-house" is just one more
example, and where we can make the biggest impact.

Koobs