Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:03:23 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why is the list server refusing my messages?

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 06:40:58PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	The FreeBSD list server has started refusing my messages with the
> 	following error:
>
> Nov 18 18:28:04 grizzly sendmail[17925]: AA131935087: to=freebsd-questions@freeb sd.org, delay=00:43:17, stat=Deferred: <grizzly.fas.com>: Host not found, mailer =tcp, MX host=hub.freebsd.org., address=[204.216.27.18]
>
> 	A word about my setup, which has not changed in a long time. I have a
> 	FreeeBSD machine conected to a cablemodem. I use this machine as a
> 	gateway to masquerade all of my internal mchines. The loca domain is
> 	"fas.com" The machine I use to send mail is called grizzly. But I have
> 	this machine set up so that the return address is one of my IPS's
> 	(awod.com). I then use fetchmail to retrieve these messages.
>
> 	Works great, execpt now the FreeBSD mail machine is upset about it :-(
>
> 	Any sugestions appreciated.

Not only do you have to masquerade your email headers, you also have
to masquerade your envelope so that your internal machine's FQDN isn't
seen by the receiving MTA. hub.freebsd.org is *very* picky about all
the domain-names it sees. The way I got around this was to have in my
m4 macro files:

	MASQUERADE_AS(logisticsoftware.co.nz)
	FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')

Jonathan Chen