Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:52:34 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: formatting tools for Docbook]

Chuck Robey wrote:
> Greg Barniskis wrote:
>
>> Chuck Robey wrote:
>>
>>> This is a delayed reposting of something that I might have sent to an
>>> initially poorly chosen list;  if it still gets no reponse in another
>>> day, I  might try again, if I can figure out a better FreeBSD list to
>>> choose.  My predilection for FreeBSD is strong, I would really
>>> dislike to be forced to jump to Linux (or, god forbid, to Windows)
>>> for this infomation, about using the various FreeBSD ports tools to
>>> get to the ability to format docbook materials.
>>

> Well, I wasn't trying to write FreeBSD documentation, I was trying to
> generate my own personal documentation, using a schema that would
> hopefully be far more generally available.  Back when I was using groff
> and the mm macros (yesterday!) I never would have used some locally
> tweaked version of the mm macros, unless I included those changes in my
> docs, because then no one else would be able to use my documents.  Am I
> wrong in considering the FDP generated documentation as being in that
> category, not terribly uselful outside the FreeBSD project.
>
> That's the reason I asked about docbook in general.  Obviously, doing
> FDP stuff is made truly simple.  There isn 't some way to adapt the FDP
> installation to support he generation of more general docbook xml (such
> as the latest 4.x series stuff, I think 4.5x). ?

>> Good starting point: http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/
>>
>> Detailed tutorial:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html
>>
>> Tools: check out everything that is installed by these metaports:
>>
>> textproc/docproj-jadetex
>> textproc/docproj-nojadetex

Sorry, I could have been more expansive and specific, but there's a
new and extremely cranky (non-FreeBSD) server here and it's all I
can do between its firestorms to dash off brief missives on other
topics.

I wanted to point you at the general state of the FreeBSD community
work with DocBook, and that project's list since they'll likely have
the expertise you seek in general terms. I know they are not doing
everything you asked about specifically but it's a starting point to
explore capabilities; the metaports certainly install plenty of
general tools and capabilities in addition to the FreeBSD specific
stuff.

If the metaports are not interesting to you, I think you can just
install the DocBook port, Java, and many typical DocBook tools one
at a time (xalan, saxon, jade, fop, etc., etc.). There should be
everything you need in the ports collection one way or another. If
your question is "which of the dozens of XML/XSL processing tools is
best for DocBook [4|5]", I don't know, but suspect the answer's in
the metaports and/or the Doc Project list arena (check their
archives and/or ask away over there).

Hope that helps more.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)