Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:01:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        neswold@FNAL.GOV
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Accomodating Terry

> CVS updates will still keep me current. I get revision control of my changes
> while I develop. The main repository only gets my "final" source base.
>
> Am I missing something in this scenario?

| % cvs log foo.c
| RCS file: /b/cvstree/ncvs/src/sys/kern/foo.c,v
| Working file: foo.c
| head: 1.8
| branch:
| locks: strict
| access list:
| symbolic names:
|         RELENG_2_2_1_RELEASE: 1.6
|         RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE: 1.6
|         RELENG_2_2: 1.6.0.2
|         phk: 1.1.1.1
|         ORIG: 1.1.1
| comment leader: " * "
| keyword substitution: kv
| total revisions: 9;     selected revisions: 9
| ----------------------------
| revision 1.8
| date: 1997/02/22 09:39:14;  author: terry;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
| Added much slower code to work around bug in block I/O subsystem;
| this will need to be backed out to the previous revision when the
| block I/O subsystem has been corrected.
| ----------------------------

Oops.  You don't have a previous revision, do you?  You only have
your 'tip'.  And your 'tip' is not the correct "final" source base.

I'm worried about getting all of this baseline code in and then finding
out 3 months down the road that one of the baseline module changes I
made was the wrong one, but having no way to back it out or find out
what the previous code should have looked like without rewriting from
scratch.

Also, if you are trying to follow a set of changes, having them appear
full-blown in the source tree won't really help your understanding.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---