Date:      05 Nov 1999 16:04:27 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp -auto over-dials

Eric Cholet <cholet@logilune.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed a 3.3 system and have configured ppp in automatic mode
> to dial my ISP. The setup works fine, but I find that ppp is dialing out
> every few minutes.
>
> I have stopped sendmail, I have no named running. I have no cron jobs.
>
> How can I proceed to see what triggers the dialing out?

One of those times that ppp has dialed out on you, with no apparent
reason, try using sockstat to see the open sockets.  Look for a socket
whose `FOREIGN ADDRESS' column is not a local interface address of your
machine.  Then lookup it's COMMAND column to see which program opened
this socket.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]