Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 1995 13:48:07 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Browning <browning@Browning.csranet.com>
Cc:        adrian@virginia.edu, FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about ftp install

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950607154219.141C-100000@Browning.csranet.com>, Charl
es Browning writes:
>I am a linux user that would like to install freeBSD.  I have the
>boot/root disk for 2.0.5ALPHA and everything goes well until I go to
>ALT-3 for network connection for ftp install.  At this point, connection
>to ISP is fine.  Message is ppp-on and back to terminal 1 and
>immediately, I get message (unable to resolve ftp.freebsd.org).  It
>doesn't even seem to try.  I have checked and rechecked by network
>information and know it is correct.  Anyone have clues why I can't see
>the DNS?

This is likely the known problem with FTP over PPP which meant that
the default route didn't get set - so unless the machine you are
connecting to provides NS, you won't get name resolution, and even if
you do, you won't get routed out onto the internet. A hacky solution
is to go to the EHS on VTY4 and type `route add default <HISADDR>'
where hisaddr is the address of the machine on the other end of the
PPP line (or you can do `add 0 0 HISADDR' at the ppp prompt I believe)

This should be fixed in the BETA floppies which are slowing my machine
down as I speak!

Gary