Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:43:49 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Brian Szymanski <ski@mediamatters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum/vinum on 6.0

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:38:29PM -0500, Brian Szymanski wrote:
> I took 6.0 for a test drive today and was disappointed to find that
> vinum/gvinum are still in disarray. For example there is a man page for
> vinum, but only a gvinum binary. gvinum help still lists lots of old vinum
> commands that are not implemented in gvinum. Lots of basic things I try
> from the gvinum prompt just tell me "not yet supported".

Hmm. There is a manpage in 6-STABLE. And there are a few things that
don't work but I wouldn't call it "lots".

> But most importantly, gvinum configuration (at least for a raid-5 plex)
> still doesn't persist across a reboot :(

That's a bug; I think it might be related to compiling gvinum in the kernel
as opposed to loading it from /boot/loader.conf. I also think there is a
fix already commited to 6-STABLE.

> Has anyone had success with software Raid-5 under freebsd 6.0 ? If so, how
> did you do it?

I'm succesfully running gvinum RAID-5 on two plexes on the same
machine since 6.0-RC3 or thereabouts. I just used the same procedure I
used to setup volumes with "regular" vinum. I did not try to migrate
volumes however, I started from scratch and restored my data.

> I've been forced, rather unhappily, to stick with 4.x and some early 5.x
> releases b/c vinum is critical for me... Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

Two things:

- contact Lukas Ertl <le@FreeBSD.org> and/or send PRs with any problems
  that you encounter. He is very responsive, especially when you send
  in detailed problem reports.
- try 6-STABLE instead of 6.0-RELEASE. It might not be useful for you
  in production, but at least you get a manpage, and the disappearing
  volume bug might be fixed. If not, you can try option 1.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
My server has more fans than Britney.