Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 02:17:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: ISA_PnP & pnp.c (was ISA_PnP & patch)

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Sujal Patel wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Barry Masterson wrote:
>
> > 'pnpinfo' reports the Serial Number as 0022241a . The configuration
> > samples show the Serial Number in hexadecimal; with a "0x" prefix.
> >
> > Is the pnpinfo serial number in hexadecimal, without the '0x'
> > prefix?  And if yes, can I just `pre-append` the '0x' to the
> > pnpinfo serial number when I place it in pnp.c?
>
> pnpinfo shows the serial number with a 0x prepended.  Are you using the
> June 6 snapshot?
>
> Sujal

I'm using the FreeBSD-ISA_PnP_June8 package.  Actually, I have
the sound card working. (Many thanks for this PnP patch).

On to other things, this is a mix-n-match system; ide & scsi.
The sound blaster 16 conflicts with my 1542cf card.  The 1542
uses 330-333h, so does the sb16. All of the kernels I've built
hung on booting, or the sb16 was never probed. None of the
'ALLOW_CONFLICT' kernel options did anything. Thats why I tried the
your Pnp patch.

Currently, I have the 1542 set to another address, however the
kernel is still looking for aha0 at 0x330.

I don't really want to change the settings for the 1542, I'd rather
change the sb16.

Pnpinfo offers a variety of configurations; 'good', 'acceptable',
and 'suboptimal'. pnpinfo gave me two 'good' configurations;
IRQ 5 & ports 0x220, 0x330 & 0x388, basically in line with the
settings listed in the sb16 manual.  The other 'good' choice
is IRQ 10 & ports 0x168, 0x36e, no DMA listed.

Can I configure pnp.c to the other 'good' choice; IRQ 10 &
ports 0x168, 0x36e, even though the printed sb16 manual
never lists these values as possible options? Or will the sb16
break if I do this?

Again, Thank you for creating the ISA_PnP patch.

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.1.5-R