Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:22:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        David Syphers <dsyphers@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP problems in -current?

Hi,

> The problem started exactly when I upgraded from a Dec. 28 -current to a Jan.
> 20 -current (which is one reason I think it's on my end). I noticed that
> src/contrib/isc-dhcp/client/dhclient.c was modified in that time - with a
> commit log that sounds as if it would _solve_ problems like this, rather than
> start them. Right now I'm running -current from Jan 26, with the same
> problem.

Yes I fixed exactly this problem. Instead of a new request, we are
doing now a "renew".

Normally the lease gets renewed after 1/2 of the max lease time. If you get
a new IP all 30 minutes, this means that your ISP has the lease expiry set
to 1 hour.

Can you please use ethereal from the ports collection and record the
corresponding renew actions ?

I'd like that you first record the normal expiry, and then trigger the
it manually (you remove the cable and plug it back).

Martin