Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 17:12:59 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        conrads@neosoft.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE 64 MIDI config -- I'm lost

> MIDI is driving me nuts.  I get no sound from playmidi, or it hangs my system
> altogether.  Installed the awedrv package from Randall Hopper, rebuilt my
> kernel, but still no luck; AWE32 is not found at bootup.  Compiled the
> AWE-enabled playmidi with the AWE selected as default device.  No good.
>
> One thing I'm very confused about is the apparent conflict between "audio
> MIDI", i.e., MIDI output through the speakers, and external MIDI.  What port
> address is used for the former?

in order to play midi files, you either need to access the synthesys
devices (opl or the wavetable synthesizer on the AWE/GUS) or you can
use timidity (which according to people produces inferior sound quality).
The latter does the conversion in software so you can use /dev/audio
for the output.

> awe0 at 0x620 on isa
> AWE32 not found
> AWE32: not detected

maybe you can make the probe a little more verbose so as to understand
what is going wrong. Or, ask Randall (i think) who originally imported
the AWE sources and certainly knows how to configure it.

	Cheers
	Luigi