Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 22:13:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        tadayuki@mediaone.net
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net, tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

On 30 Jan, Tadayuki OKADA wrote:
> My point is:
> If you  build port A linked  against old major version  of libB.so, it
> won't work with  new major version of libB.so. But  if it's built with
> older revision but  same major version of libB.so,  and update libB.so
> to the latest revision  after the port A build, port  A can use latest
> libB.so.

Is the above the current situation, or the one, you are afraid my change
will bring upon us?

> port A should  generate same binary by default. But  with your change,
> if there is old major version of libB.so installed, it'll be different
> binary. This  won't happen as long  as libB.so has same  major version
> even if it's older revision.
> This is the problem.

If I want THE  EXACT SAME BINARY I will not be using  ports -- I'll just
be using  the packages. When  I change the  CFLAGS to add  -march=i686 I
will  get a  different  binary.

You may counter: "By default, the  CFLAGS don't change either". Well, by
default I'm not going to have an  old libB.so either -- the new one will
be built, and it will be the latest.

>> My proposal  has even less to  do with _packages_ --  it only affects
>> the ports-building.
> If you don't  bump port A's PORTREVISION when  libB.so's major version
> is bumped, we'll have several packages which have exactly same version
> including PORTREVISION, but their binaries are different.

Who is "we"? Bento?

> Porter's Handbook demands you to  bump PORTREVISION when the package's
> binary is changed.

Right -- assuming the default (read -- Bento) environment. And it is not
changing, since Bento builds packages anew from scratch.

>> I urge you  to find someone, who understands them  and ask him/her to
>> rephrase them for us. Thank you,

> If you still don't get it, I'll ask someone.

Well, I think I do -- partially. See if my response makes sense.

	-mi