Date:      Fri, 29 Apr 2005 01:56:23 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   install blues: overlays

I'd done a FreeBSD install over the top of the pre-existing OpenBSD
install.  The way that the FreeBSD install's written, I guess it decided
it didn't need or want a new partition, so it didn't erase the existing
OpenBSD partitons, it just laid the FreeBSD files over the top of the
OpenBSD files.

When I booted tcsh, I get this error:

(note the slightly fancy prompt is my business, not FreeBSD's.)

september:root:/usr/src:#40#tcsh
Message Catalog System: corrupt file.Message Catalog System: corrupt
file.september:root:/usr/src:#28#

See the error "Message Catalog System: corrupt file" ... I figure it's
caused by the file overlaysr/lib probably. somehow.  I tried doing a
buildworld over the top of it, to find out where it all came from,
because the alternative fix is very difficult to think about.