Date:      Wed, 14 May 2003 12:51:08 -0700
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Paredes_S=E1nchez_Mart=EDn_A=2E?= <MPAREDES@telmex.com>
To:        "David Gerard" <fun@thingy.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Bootloader two-drive dual-boot configuration question

If I understand, you want to boot from disk 1 (this has to be made in =
BIOS) and be asked what to boot (Windows or FreeBSD).

Is the same than booting fron disk 0 (no special configuration needed) =
and be asked what to boot (Windows or FreeBSD)

BootEasy is the program in FreeBSD that give the multiboot facility or =
bootmanager (the F1 ??? and F5 ...), this program, when installed,  is =
stored in the MBR (Master Boot Record) of disk 0, so you can say tha =
none OS is booted when you see the menu "F1 ??? and F5 ...". Because of =
this, the size of this program is restricted to 512 bytes.

The BootEasy program check how many "primary partitions" are in the disk =
(only can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions per disk), since you have =
only 1 partition on disk 0, F1 is printed in your monitor. Then BootEasy =
check how many disk are in the computer and print F5 for disk 1, F6 for =
disk 2 (you don't have this) and so.

I think you use more FreeBSD, so you want to boot FreeBSD with 1 key =
stroke (not like now, pressing F5 then F1, 2 key strokes), to do this, =
you need to modify the BootEasy program.

If you have the CD 1 of installation, look in \TOOLS\SRCS\BTEASY, there =
is a README file and the sources of this program, the BOOT.ASM is the =
program that goes to the MBR, you do this with the BOOTINST program =
witch is in \TOOLS.=20

-HTH
maps