Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:58:27 +0200
From:      Andreas Longwitz <longwitz@incore.de>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD (HPS version) is going into ports

Hi Hans, thanks for reply !

>> Problem 1: If I take up the receiver of a ISDN telephone I do not hear
>> the dial tone. I hear nothing. I can dial and that works. The phone
>> sends a SETUP messagewant_s and asterisk/isdn4bsd answers with SETUP ACK:
>
> You need to check the settings in capi.conf for chan_capi. It should tell I4B
> to provide a dialtone.

I have checked capi.conf and did not find something usefull for
dialtone, but your statement gives me the correct hint:

In struct i4b_controller is a bit called no_layer1_dialtone and this bit
is never initialized, therefore it is zero. In dss1_l3fsm.h the variable
want_dialtone gets value 1 and the call
   dss1_l3_tx_setup_acknowledge(cd,NT_MODE(sc),want_dialtone)
therefore sets the flag L3_TX_PROGRESSI and the SETUP_ACK fram created
in dss1_l3_tx_message has the progress indicator included. Everything ok
so far. Then I found, that the creation of the dialtone is done by the
driver type DRVR_DIAL_GEN and therefore the i4b module i4btel is needed.
After make config and activate "Build TEL driver" dialtone works.

I think this option should be on as a default.

>> Problem 2: I tried to get more information for problem 1 with the
>> analyze mode of isdndecode using the custom cable as decribed in cable.txt.
>> I connected my ISDN phone to an "ISDN Basisanschluß" with my cable box
>> between them (receiving side unit 8, sending side unit 9), but after
>> the commands
>>     cat /dev/ihfc8.X > /dev/null 2>&1 &    (X=0,1,2)
>>     cat /dev/ihfc9.X > /dev/null 2>&1 &
>>     isdndecode -a -b -R 8 -T 9 -i -x
>> I can only see D-channel data from the NT-side, nothing from the phone
>> and no information from any B-channel, but the phone works correct.
>>
>> The hardware jumpers on my HFC-4S card of unit 8 and 9 are set to TE
>> and I have
>>    isdnconfig -u  8 intr_mode pcm_64 pcm_map 0 1 end pcm_master \
>>               te_mode -p DRVR_DSS1_TE \
>>               -u  9 intr_mode pcm_64 pcm_map 0 1 end pcm_master
>>               nt_mode -p DRVR_DSS1_NT

For clarification I add that of course I first give the isdnconfig
commands and then the cat's and isdndecode.

> This might have something to do with the default protocol selected. There has
> been some changes in this area. Can you check the manpage of isdndebug, and
> the protocol options available? You will need to set the default protocol
> before opening the device nodes.

The concept of a "default protocol" is not clear to me. Please can you
describe the difference between
         isdnconfig -u 9 -p DRVR_DSS1_NT
and
         isdndebug  -u 9 -p DRVR_DSS1_NT ?
If I try the latter, the command "cat /dev/ihfc9.0" returns with "device
not configured".

Andreas Longwitz