Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:25:00 +0200
From:      Shaun Jurrens <shaun@online.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heavily loaded nfs/amd gets stuck

On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 11:07:39AM -0700, Studded wrote:
#> 	No action on this in -current for a few days, so let's try
#> hackers. In response to some suggestions I tried raising the number of
#> nfsiod's to 20 (the max) and increasing the sysctl cache value to 10,
#> still no joy.
#>
  Skipped the extra blah here for size.
#>
#> 	Ok, another interesting development. What the script I'm running
#> does is go through each user account on our sun servers, reads a file,
#> then uses certain values from that file to print out conf files on the
#> local freebsd server that's acting as an NFS client (and crashing). So
#> it's mounting a directory, reading 250 files, mounting the next directory,
#> reading the next 250 files, and so on for a total of 80 directories.
#>
#> 	I changed the script so that after each reading the 250 files for
#> each directory it did a 'sleep 10' before it started again. This allowed
#> the script to run through to completion.
#>
#> 	So, I'm still open to new things to try here. Does anyone have any
#> suggestions? I've been looking at nfsiod, all I had started was the
#> default 4 because I thought they would spawn more if they needed more, but
#> apparently they don't. Would more of those help? Would turning them off
#> altogether help? I *really* need help with this since my boss is
#> (justifiably I think) loathe to put this box into service without a little
#> more concrete evidence that NFS can hold up. Would it be better to send
#> this to -hackers? Maybe file a PR? I don't mean to sound like a pest, and
#> yes I know that we're all volunteers, etc. But after wheedling for 4
#> months to try freebsd I'm kind of feeling the pinch here. :-/
#>
Studded, you might try to look at /usr/share/doc/handbook/nfs.html.  It might help to use a high quality network card and maybe track the traffic between the boxes to see if the mentioned packet problems show up.

Just thought you might have missed the obvious.
--

Yours truly,

Shaun D. Jurrens
shaun.jurrens@stud.uni-regensburg.de