Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:34:57 -0400
From:      "Jon Larssen" <jonlarssen@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPS scenario; HOWTO?

Hi,

I'm adding a UPS to my FreeBSD server, and after reading docs and such, I
think I understand the process. But I have one question regarding a far
fetched scenario. Just imagine this:

(1) Power goes out, the UPS goes into "battery" mode.

(2) The power daemon notices this and allows a 5 minutes
    (complete configurable) grace time just in case
    power is restored in that chunk of time.

(3) Tough luck! Nope, no AC power. The power daemon than
    signals the operating system to shutdown.

(4) As was told to do so, FreeBSD will shutdown. That
    ends with a message of the like of "Press any key
    to reboot".

(5) The server, then, is officially halted. We've got no
    AC power and the UPS battery will soon be drained
    out.

(6) Wait! AC is restored and the UPS was still up. The
    lights go green and the buzzer finally quiets. But
    the server will be in "Press any key to reboot" mode
    indefinitely...

or until wither me or one of my coworkers actually press a key.

This problem has a solution? Hack? Workaround?

Best regards,
Jon Larssen.