Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:03:51 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   question for TCP gurus (in ipfw)

in the ipfw function send_reject6() we go to great length to calculate
the sequence number to put into the ack field of the reject packet..

but it's a RESET we are generating..

do we need to go to all the work of setting the ACK value etc?

could we do either of:
1/ not set the ACK bit  and just not do the extra work. Just send a reset?
or
2/ instead of ACKing all the data in the packet we are resetting,
how about just ACKing the sequence number it starts with
and saving ourselves from doing the work of ACKing all the  data
up to the current packet end. (which is the packet we are rejecting
anyhow) (It takes some calculation to work out the new ack value
which seems pointless as we are rejecting it..)