Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 95 15:18:35 PDT
From:      "Ugen J.S.Antsilevich" <ugen@latte.worldbank.org>
To:        vak@cronyx.ru
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HITACHI CDROM - next stage..

Hello!

 So after unsuccessful attempts to use driver as it is i called
1-800-HITACHI and after a couple fo other calls got to support person that
has got a clue what the hell i was talking about.
He tald me that HITACHI CDROM's different(??) from other ATAPI CDROMS
in two things:
1) they make use of IOREADY signal to processor, which different type of
motherboards use different way. So to work this thing needs ever to set ther
motherboard to use IOREADY signal which is board-dependant, or on the
contrary to lower burst transfer speed from 8 to 2 Mb/s on which (as the guys
sayd) there will be no need for CDROM to issue the IOREADY stuff.
2) By default interrupts are disabled, this is poweron setting so
driver should initialize command register with 8, to enable them. This
is actually worked around by booting dos first and loading dos driver which
makes the initialization.

For those who need to use Hitachi cdrom NOW there is some sort of bios extender
thet you may put in boot sector, it loads once and tries to set IOREADY to
be used. I never tested this yet. The actual chaneg should be in the driver
though.

What's next?
--Ugen