Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:39:20 +1300
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Orielly book

On Thursday, 14 October 1999 at 17:17:06 +0100, Stephen Roome wrote:
> I was reading the news stuff from the advocacy site and I wondered if...
>
> Has anyone approaced orielly about doing a book ?

Yes, several times.

> Tim O'Reilly seems very interested in the idea from the website.
>
> Would the handbook and FAQ and some of Greg's excellent books (although that
> judgement is based on word of mouth, as I only remember the book that came with
> 2.1.5) combine to make a complete O'Reilly guide.

That's a good question.

> It's not that I didn't like the Complete FreeBSD or whatever it was called, but
> the point is (IMHO) that an O'Reilly book would really give FreeBSD proper
> "proffessional and serious" status.

I've tried times to get O'Reilly interested.  The last time was after
this statement by Tim that they turned down a previous attempt, and
were now regretting it.  I'm talking to an editor at O'Reilly, and
it's possible that we'll come up with a (Free)BSD systems
administration book.  Don't hold your breath; it would be at least a
year before anything came of it.

Greg