Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:24:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
To:        dfolkins@comcast.net, mailist@whoweb.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw rulesets

>a return packet is like this "FROM any port 23 TO any
>host [certain port range]".  notice that this return packet is not going to
>be let through by the firewall, and therefore you will not be able to get
>the telnet session going.

I tried this and it worked.  Is there a reason you didn't think it would?
   allow tcp from any to any 23
   allow tcp from any 23 to any

That led me to replacing the above rules with the following single rule,
which did not work.  But I don't know why.  Can you explain?
   allow tcp from any 23 to any 23

When an remote host attempts to make a telnet connection on my host,
isn't it classified as coming from port 23 on the remote host?

Jon