Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2015 20:34:58 +0100
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The magic of ZFS and NFS (2nd try)

<christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>:
>=20
> Hi everyone!
>=20
> I've already asked this question (basically) in the questions list, =
but I=20
> didn't get anything that really helped me along. I am hoping to get a =
little=20
> further on this list.
>=20
> Using my search engines, I have found out that exporting a ZFS is a by=20=

> picky. However I have found no general rules of what to do - yet.
>=20
> My file server is called obelix, my workstation falbala. Feel free to =
make=20
> fun of that fact. :-)
>=20
> obelix boots from an SSD. There is a raidz2 configured with 7 HDDs, =
mounted=20
> under /zfs/arc1. This is the main (basic, root) mount point of the ZFS =
pool=20
> and it is pretty much empty. There are other tanks I have defined and =
they=20
> are under /usr/archive/. The directory /usr/archive/ is of course =
still part=20
> of the SSD.
>=20
> When I set /usr/archive as an export in /etc/exports, I can mount that =
from=20
> falabala. I see all the subdirectories too - each of these are ZFS =
tanks.=20
> However, I cannot access the contents of the tanks. I've played around =
here=20
> a bit and there are two things that can happen:
>=20
> 1. I can dive into the directories but they look empty from falbala.
> 2. Access to the directories is refused completely.
>=20
> I don't remember what I did to get each of these results, so please =
don't=20
> ask. :-)
>=20
> Ok, so I read that I cannot export all ZFS mounts together like this =
and=20
> have to create an export for each seperately. Fine with me. :-)
>=20
> So I created and export to /usr/archive/shared which is the mount =
point of a=20
> ZFS tank. But if I try to mount that via NFS from falbala, the =
connection is=20
> denied completely. This is logged in /var/log/messages on obelix - =
without=20
> any reason however.
>=20
> Now it might be that I am just to dumb to understand the works of NFS =
and=20
> ZFS or I am just missing a piece of the puzzle. Can someone please =
give me a=20
> push, please?

You must use the syntax of exports(5) also with zfs set sharenfs=3D
AFAIK, you shouldn=E2=80=99t use /etc/exports to do zfs exports but the =
above command

If your hosts you export to are in your nfs-server=E2=80=99s /etc/hosts, =
you will need to use the names they resolve to also in the =
exports-statement.
(Though that might be wrong - it was the case with Solaris, though).

uids/gids should match, too, of course.

Rainer=