Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:49:49 -0700
From:      Cameron Tune <cameron@camerontune.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Highpoint 2320 Raid card

Thanks for the info.  I've decided I'm going to send this card back.  =
I'll try Brandon's suggestion first and get another of the same, and if =
that doesn't work I'll try something from a different vendor.

I'm also using ZFS - main reason I migrated to FreeBSD in the first =
place.

On Jan 25, 2011, at 4:23 AM, Jonas Lund wrote:

> I also bought a highpoint (17xx something) card for my previous
> home/smb-server and i could never get it booting either regardless of
> "freebsd support". It was based on a VIA EPIA motherboard.
>=20
> Ended up going with softraid (gmirror).. it worked well enough but be
> warned that after an extended uptime that a gmirror sync + fsck will
> cause a seek storm that will take ages to finish. Using ZFS for my
> current setup with duplication.
>=20
> 2011/1/16 Cameron Tune <cameron@camerontune.com>:
>> Last month I purchased a Highpoint 2320 raid card, =
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=3DN82E16816115026 , for =
my FreeBSD server.  I'm new to the FreeBSD world - so please bear with =
me as I try to solve the following issue.
>>=20
>> With the card installed - the server hangs during the boot process.  =
I don't even get to the standard FreeBSD boot menus (loader prompt, =
single-user mode, etc.), rather the freeze occurs after a "console" =
message and then a listing of physical disks.  A picture of where the =
hang occurs is at http://www.camerontune.com/images/photo.jpg .
>>=20
>> As far as I can tell this card is supported on FreeBSD (running 8.1 =
STABLE i386).  I've updated the motherboard bios, and have also monkeyed =
around with just about every possible setting in the card's bios.  =
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.
>>=20
>> I've combed through every possible log I can find in /var/logs - but =
I'm not finding anything that starts this early in the boot process.  =
I've also ensured that all drivers are present and loaded in loader.conf =
- however I don't think I'm even getting to the point of drivers being =
loaded.
>>=20
>> Any thoughts are appreciated - and please let me know if there's any =
additional information I can provide that may help diagnose the =