Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:45:56 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Using bc in bash script

> > Can I refine it to give me something like: .784 seconds?
>
> Use "bc -l" instead of bc.  That should do it.

No, that still gives 0 seconds.

I think this whole thing is dependent on the fact that `date +%s`
reports integers.

I'm still interested in something like .874 seconds, but for the time
being, I'll just use an if..then..else to say "less than 1 second" or
the actual number of seconds.

I've looked at the time command suggested by Jez, haven't tried it yet.

Geeeezz, why don't they include some *SIMPLE* examples in the man pages?
Not everybody has a degree in Advanced Calculus and works as a C++
programmer.  ;-)