Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:47:55 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW/Dummynet - Internet Access

Hello Networking gurus!

I'd like to give Internet access to some residents of a building BUT I want
to have every user on their own private network (diff IP, no broadcast
traffic to the other) and also do bandwidth limiting.

Now I know that this is one of those topics discussed on the lists quite often.
I've seached the archives and found some pretty nice material but there is one
thing that is not clear to me and I thought I could pick the brain of the gurus
in this list.

It looks like below:

192.168.50.0/24

 --------
| Client1| \
 --------   \
             \   VLAN Capable switch
              \
               \   ++++
                \ | S  |       ---
 --------        \| W  |      | R |     DSL Modem
| Client2|--------| I  |      | O |       ++++
 --------        /| T  |      | U |- - ->| D  |
192.168.11.0/24 / | C  |      | T | oif  | S  | ---------->>> Internet
               /  | H  | iif  | E |      | L  |
              /   |    |- - ->| R |      |    |
             /     ++++       |   |       ++++
 ---------  /                  ---
| Client 3|                  FreeBSD 4.x (IPFW/DUMMYNET)
 --------
10.1.2.0/24

This should take care of at least 10 - 20 clients, each allocated an IP in the private
range as shown.

QUESTION 1: Is it possible that I can configure each port on switch as a unique vlan,
            have the port that your FreeBSD box connects to pass all vlans, and then
            setup 3 VLAN interfaces on the FreeBSD box, one for each VLAN/client?
            My problem is that I don't want the clients/vlans to see one another.

            I am being told that this is not the way vlans work, that vlans will require
            multiple switches, yes???

QUESTION 2: I've already run IPFW on a FreeBSD box and while I am new to ipfw, I
see it's already running fine, bar for the tuning that it will require to achieve
the goal. If I want to do bandwidth limiting using dummynet, using the instructions
at www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ , at what point in rc.ipfw do I introduce the
dummynet rules, at the end???

QUESTION 3: I also want to control bandwidth for every client. Client 1 needs on 32K bandwidth
            while Client 2 needs 64K. The total bandwidth available on the ooif of the FreeBSD
            box is 256K (DSL). ipfw/dummynet will allow me to do this???

mtia

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  <wash@wananchi.com>    "The box said 'Requires