Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:14:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      b <bryanw@666.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster 16 PnP now works!

Hi,

I finally got my SoundBlaster 16 PnP configured in FreeBSD!

Thanks to everyone who helped:

-Frank Pawlak
-David E. Brooks Jr
-pointer to Luigi Rizzo's pnp driver (reading the manpage, `man pnp',
 helped)
-I also found `man pnpinfo' to be helpful as well
-website URL (http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv/awepnp-freebsd.txt)
 I don't recall where I found that, but I followed the directions
 there, and it worked flawlessly.

I'd been working on this a few days already.  Due to all the help I
received here, I was motivated to try and get this working.  I'm
thankful for all the support.

Hopefully, what I have accomplished can be helpful to someone else.
If it minimizes the frustration of one person, I would feel my job
has been done!

I performed the procedure in this manner:

-added these lines to kernel config:

controller 	pnp0
controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
options SBC_IRQ=5	# probably already stated in
			# /sys/i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h,
			# but I put it here anyway
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

-Edited /sys/i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h, to ensure the
 settings were proper (matching what was entered in kernel config):

#ifndef SBC_BASE
#ifdef PC98
#define SBC_BASE	0x20d2  /* 0x20d2 is the factory default. */
#else
#define SBC_BASE	0x220	/* 0x220 is the factory default. */
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SBC_IRQ
#ifdef PC98
#define SBC_IRQ		10	/* IQR10 is not the factory default on PC9821.	 */
#else
#define SBC_IRQ		5	/* IQR5 is the factory default.	 */
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SBC_DMA
#ifdef PC98
#define SBC_DMA		3
#else
#define SBC_DMA		1
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SB16_DMA
#ifdef PC98
#define SB16_DMA	3
#else
#define SB16_DMA	5
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SB16MIDI_BASE
#ifdef PC98
#define SB16MIDI_BASE	0x80d2
#else
#define SB16MIDI_BASE	0x330
#endif
#endif

#ifndef MPU_BASE
#define MPU_BASE	0x330
#endif

#ifndef MPU_IRQ
#define MPU_IRQ		5
#endif

-In the config'd kernel directory, make depend; make; make install

When I first tried booting up, sb0 and the rest of the devices couldn't
be found.  I went into BIOS settings of my computer, turning off PNP
OS (per something I read in an email sent by David E. Brooks Jr
to the questions list.. thanks David!).

Voila!  I booted, and everything was detected fine.

Next, I ensured I created the audio devices:

-cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV snd0

-cat of /dev/sndstat:

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995 freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
SoundBlaster16 at 0x0 irq 65535 drq 5
SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 65535 drq 4294967295
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 irq 65535 drq 4294967295

Audio devices:
0: SoundBlaster 16 4.13

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster 16 Midi

Timers:
0: System Timer

Mixers:
0: SoundBlaster

dmesg output:
 Probing for PnP devices:
 CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL0028 [0x28008c0e] Serial 0x00110927
 sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
 sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
 sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
 sbxvi0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
 sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
  <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
 opl0 at 0x388 on isa
 opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

I've tried cd players and midi players.. those work fine.   This leads
me to believe that the sound support is working OK.

It is great to have sound in FreeBSD!

thanks,